“Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be
ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.” (II Timothy 2:15)
It is the prayer of the staff of Woman at the Well Ministries that each of you join us in a disciplined study of God’s Word. Choose a topic and just a few verses a day for an in-depth study of God’s Word.
Suggestions for a successful study:
1. Find a quiet place where you can be alone with God.
2. Determine a specific time that you want to spend time studying the Word of God and then keep that time as if it is an important appointment–It is!
3. Acquire a notebook or journal, something you can keep your notes in so that you can refer to them from time to time.
4. Pray each time you begin your study.
*Pray for God to open up His Word to your heart.
*Pray that you will be bold enough to apply its’ principles to your life.
*Pray that God speaks to you in a way that you clearly understand.
5. Read the passage through completely. Reading it out loud helps you to hear things that you might not see if you read it quietly.
6. Here is an example for John 3:16. Read each verse individually, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life”. Write the scripture you are studying in your notebook, and for each verse:
*Determine what each verse is saying by discovering the main thought.
Example: God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, that whosoever believes in Him will not perish, but have everlasting life.
*Determine what each verse means.
Example: Because God loves the world, He sent His Son, Jesus, to earth, that through Him, those who believe in Him will not perish, but will have eternal life.
*Discover how each verse applies to your own life.
Example: God loves me so much that He sent me His only Son, Jesus, to provide the way that I might have an opportunity to have eternal life and not perish, by believing in Him.
7. Write each of these thoughts in your notebook or journal.
8. Read the passage completely through again.
9. Summarize your study and the application of its meaning in a paragraph.
10. Write a summary sentence for the entire passage.
11. Pray that God would grow these truths in your heart.